How to care for Orchids you don’t know much about? – Very detailed guide
Today we talk about how we can care for orchids that have no ID, or there isn’t much information on the internet available!
🦋 More info below! 🦋
1. Always google the names you have on your tag, if you have one! Great basic resources are http://www.orchidspecies.com/ for species, https://bluenanta.com/ for hybrid parentage and https://apps.rhs.org.uk/horticulturaldatabase/orchidregister/orchidregister.asp for the official registrar.
If you have no tag, or you cannot find the orchids anywhere, just keep things safe and in the middle:
2. Use the potting medium your other orchids do better in. Make sure any mix you use provides moisture, air and is not damaging.
3. Water as the orchid approaches dryness and see from there if you can delay watering more, or you need to water more frequent
4. Fertilize with whatever works for your other orchids, at half strength in the beginning
5. Keeps the orchid in bright light, but not direct sunshine. This works for most orchids we can grow at home!
6. Temperature should be moderate as well, not too hot, not too cold!
Always observe your orchid and adjust care based on that. Simple 😀
Geographer – After all
🌸 Like my channel and want to help it grow? Consider getting some official merch! http://bit.ly/2F1K3nJ
🌸 Want to send me something? Here’s my address!
P.O. BOX 29002, CY-1620, Nicosia, Cyprus
🌸 My environment:
Subtropical climate, hot summers and mild winters
60-90% humidity, always breezy
Growth space is kept at min 17C and max 29C
🌸 What I use in my Grow Room:
LECA – Pokon or IKEA
Various organic mixes from rePotme http://bit.ly/2Dmu9mW
Sphagnum Moss – Spagmoss from Besgrow http://bit.ly/2LSZjEx or http://bit.ly/2WOF1D7
Fertilizer and supplements:
MSU Orchid fertilizer for osmosis / rain water http://bit.ly/2LS2bSg
Orchid Focus Bloom (when I need something low in N)
Pots, containers, baskets:
DIY self watering pots and masks from local flower shops
Lechuza self watering pots https://amzn.to/2wIUWq2
Wooden Vanda baskets http://bit.ly/2NfIlWI
Slotted pots from rePotme http://bit.ly/2Ds488b
LED shop panels from Leroy Merlin, 4000k
Tertial lamps from IKEA + 4000k LED bulbs (various brands)
Orvibo WiFi Smart Plugs https://amzn.to/2MLSR7T
Shirley’s Simple Shelving http://bit.ly/2qAcS1r
Lerberg and Mulig from IKEA
🌸 See my video playlists!